En Español

Many students, just like you, have questions on how COVID-19 will affect their community college education. We know you are likely adjusting to lots of changes, so supporting your success at a 俶腦惘app community college is our top priority and we are working hard to ensure you can continue your education. By embracing new thinking, new ideas and new ways of online learning we will all get through this difficult time together.

Below are answers to commonly asked questions about financial aid, transfer, career training programs, online learning, support resources and enrolling in community college. Be sure to check this page often for new information and updates.


The 俶腦惘app Community Colleges Chancellors Office is working closely with the governors office, the 俶腦惘app Department of Public Health and local colleges to mitigate effects of the COVID-19 outbreak. Nearly all 俶腦惘app community colleges are working to transition educational services to online delivery, with many closing or suspending classes for days or weeks, including for scheduled and rescheduled spring breaks, to make the switch.

Visit the website to keep up with the latest COVID-19 news in 俶腦惘app.

The Chancellor's Office is following Sacramento County guidance and advisories to protect public health and limit COVID-19 exposure for staff. You can continue to get assistance by calling 916-445-8752 or you can send an email to info@cccco.edu. Our regular hours of operation are 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. You can continue to submit comments and feedback through our digital contact form.
Students that have not taken online courses previously should communicate with their instructors and college counselors to request additional support and resources.  All campuses have put in place additional resources and personnel to support students transitioning to online instruction, including added support for students with learning disabilities. To learn more about preparing for online instruction visit the page at our 俶腦惘app Virtual Campus – Online Education Initiative website.

Students are encouraged to follow these four tips to be successful when learning online.

  • Log into your course ahead of time to review the learning objectives and any assignments. Assess the workload for the week and put the due dates on your calendar. Having a mental picture of what's ahead is the best thing you can do to prepare each week
  • Aim to have all of your assignments done prior to the due date. Why? Because life happens and when you wait until the last minute, you're more likely to have problems meeting the due date.
  • If you identify a challenge with meeting a due date, contact your instructor right away. Instructors are more willing to be flexible when contacted in advance of a due date.
  • Use the and to track and stay current on your assignments. They are so helpful.

Admissions, Transfer and Grades

The enrollment process is fully automated at all 俶腦惘app community colleges.  You can start by visiting the website. And, although the physical campus might be closed, colleges are prepared to offer all student services virtually.  After you enroll the college will contact you with resources to get you to the next step.  Colleges will offer on-line and telephone appointments with counselors to discuss you educational and career goals.

Because of the unexpected transition to online and distance learning, many students and teachers are experiencing online learning for the first time. Recognizing the challenges involved, several changes have been implemented regarding grading protocol. Among them:

Retaking a Course:  Students can retake a course attempted during the pandemic and colleges are being directed to disregard the previous grade when computing a GPA once the course has been retaken and completed.

Deadlines for Pass/No Pass Grades: The deadline for selecting a pass or no pass option instead of a letter grade is being waived. Students should, however, be aware that the University of 俶腦惘app and 俶腦惘app State University 俶腦惘apps require courses for a major to be completed with a letter grade and many transfer institutions restrict the number of transfer units that may be taken as P/NP. 

Probation or Unsatisfactory Progress: ‘No pass’ grades will not be considered in probation and dismissal procedures.  Students attempting to complete a course under the current situation, rather than withdraw, will not be negatively affected should they ultimately be unable to successfully complete the course.

Yes. Colleges may refund student fees, including enrollment fees, if a student needs to withdraw due to an epidemic or other extraordinary conditions. Colleges should not record any withdrawal (W) or grade on the transcript of a student who withdraws under these circumstances. An excused withdrawal (EW) may be recorded; but in all cases, a withdrawal due to extraordinary conditions should not affect a student’s academic progress, academic probation, or ability to repeat a course.

Yes, there should be no disruption to transcript requests or deliveries during this health crisis.  Colleges are ensuring that they have staff, either working on campus or from their homes, that will continue to provide essential services.  There may be slight delays during the first several weeks of transitioning to work off-site, but transcripts will continue to be sent upon request.

Students should make sure they are taking any major prep courses for a letter grade. To date, there has not been an extension by the University of 俶腦惘app to the temporary policy that was in place for winter/spring/summer 2020 regarding the Pass/No Pass.

 For more information on the changes, visit .

Student Services and Financial Aid

Yes,  colleges may distribute emergency financial aid grants to students for expenses related to the disruptions caused by COVID-19. These expenses include students’ cost of attending college, including food, housing, course materials, technology, health care and child care. The U.S. Department of Education attempted to limit these grants only to students who qualify for federal financial aid, but the 俶腦惘app Community Colleges on June 17 were granted a preliminary injunction that blocks the imposition of any eligibility requirements, including immigration status, for students to receive this emergency assistance.

Students will continue to have access to financial aid resources, including those from student loans

For federal student financial aid (Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Grants, Federal Workstudy and Federal Direct Loans) guidance will be issued by the U.S. Department of Education as it becomes available. Please see the for information about Federal Work Study.

Community College Promise Grants:  there is no impact to eligibility for the Promise Grants, and no penalty if a Promise Grant recipient is unable to complete all attempted coursework in a single semester.  Promise Grant recipients must make satisfactory progress to retain the grants.  Students should work with their local college campus to determine any actions needed to retain these grants.

俶腦惘app College Promise Program:  Students that typically are not eligible for other types of financial aid may be eligible for a waiver of enrollment fees if they qualify as “first-year, first-time" students.  As of today the law required students to maintain full-time status to retain eligibility from term to term. There is some flexibility on the number of units for students with disabilities.

Cal Grants:  The 俶腦惘app Student Aid Commission has not issued guidance to date on any changes to the Cal Grant eligibility requirements.  We will post updates here as we receive them.

Student Success and Completion Grant:  Students must be taking either 12 units or 14 units at the time of payment.  If the student reduces the number of units after being paid for the term, there is no impact for that term, or for following terms.

The Senate and House passed S.3503 and the bill is headed to President Trump for signature. The bill will give the VA authority to continue GI Bill payments uninterrupted in the event of national emergencies. The new law allows the VA to pay education benefits regardless of the fact if a program has moved from the classroom to online. Also, students will continue to receive the same monthly housing allowance payments until December 21, 2020, or until their school resumes normal operations. If you have questions about your specific circumstance(s), please reach out to your Veterans Resource Center for guidance or contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Education Call Center at: 1-888-442-4551 between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday-Friday

While some colleges are able to maintain the operations of their food pantries, many colleges have been forced to limit their hours of service or close completely. Listed below are helpful links to access food resources.

Federal Work Study:  The U.S. Department of Education has authorized payment of Work Study wages regardless of whether a student is actually working. Please see the for information about Federal Work Study.

CalWORKs Work Study: State law does not currently allow payment of CalWORKs work study wages if students are not actually working in their work study job. The Chancellor’s Office is currently working with the 俶腦惘app Department of Social Services (CDSS) for the authority to allow work study wages to continue to be paid during the COVID-19 crisis. We will send out a communication if this decision changes, and the response to this question will be updated accordingly.

EOPS Work Study: Federal law gives institutions the authority to make Federal Work Study payments to disaster-affected students under certain limited circumstances, and the US Department of Education, Office of Federal Student Aid has provided guidance addressing students receiving Federal Work Study who are unable to work due to COVID-19 closures (such as school or employer closures or student quarantines). These students may continue to be paid under certain circumstances.

The 俶腦惘app Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office is working with the Foundation for 俶腦惘app Community Colleges and other community-based organizations to compile a list of critical resources and information to help undocumented students navigate this challenging time. The Chancellor’s Office will continue updating these resources throughout the pandemic as more information becomes available. Please visit the Undocumented Student Resource page for the most up-to-date resources with clickable links.

USCIS encourages all individuals, including those without permanent status, who have symptoms that resemble Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) to seek necessary medical treatment or preventive services.  The receipt of such treatment or preventive services will not be considered by USCIS as part of a future Public Charge analysis.

On March 13, USCIS announced that the agency will not consider: testing, treatment, or preventative care (including vaccines, if a vaccine becomes available) related to COVID – 19 in a public charge determination, even if such treatment is provided or paid for by one or more public benefits, as defined in the rule (e.g. federally funded Medicaid).

If you live and work in a jurisdiction where disease prevention methods such as social distancing or quarantine are in place, or where your employer, school, or university voluntarily shuts down operations to prevent the spread of COVID-19, please visit the for additional information.

Career Education

Colleges are moving to using simulation software or looking at simulation software in place of in-person training. Colleges that are still offering in-person training will practice local or State social distancing guidelines.


Students without a computer should check with their local institution about any laptop loaner programs that may be available. Students should also communicate with their individual instructors on how they may access course materials or live lessons through mobile phone options. Affordable and reduced cost laptops and internet access is available through the Foundation for 俶腦惘app Community Colleges’ CollegeBuys digital support and services program. This homegrown digital access program is focused on supporting community college students, faculty, staff and institutions. The Foundation is the nonprofit auxiliary of the Chancellor’s Office.

Several companies are providing reduced cost or free internet access to ensure students have access to reliable internet service.

Some colleges have loaned out computers from computer labs to students who need them. Others are working with their foundations on raising philanthropic resources to support students with technology needs. Where possible, instructional design is being made mobile friendly so students can use smart phones. The state Chancellor’s Office is working with the telecommunications industry to try to provide free internet services and computers for students in need for the next six months. We will keep students updated on the progress of these discussions.
Students should make sure they are taking any major prep courses for a letter grade. To date, there has not been an extension by the University of 俶腦惘app to the temporary policy that was in place for winter/spring/summer 2020 regarding the Pass/No Pass.

Dual Enrollment

Dual enrollment allows students to enroll in community college classes and may earn college credit toward their diploma, experience college-level coursework, and receive credit toward their college degree.

Students can receive the following benefits from participating in dual enrollment:

  • Introduction to and preparation for college life
  • Ability to explore interests, careers, and majors
  • Opportunity to build skills that are needed in the workforce
  • Motivation to stick with it and pursue a college degree or certificate
  • Understanding the benefits of college education
  • Accelerated pathway through college that can save time and money

To enroll in dual enrollment courses, students may be required to:

  1. Complete an Online College Application
  2. Complete Orientation (Online or In-person)
  3. Submit Transcripts 
  4. Meet with Counselor
  5. Register for College Classes
  6. Complete Financial Aid Application

Specific steps and details might differ from college to college. Students should check with their high school or adult education counselor or contact their local college campus for guidance on enrollment requirements.

Private school or home-schooled students typically follow the same steps in applying to dual enrollment as a student from a public high school. Students should check with their high school or adult education counselor or contact their local college campus for guidance on enrollment requirements.
Students who are 18 years of age or older and still enrolled in high school may be admitted to community college under general admissions, dual enrollment or special admit. Students should check with their local community college to see which provision is best for them.
Students enrolled in certain dual enrollment programs -- College and Career Access Pathways (AB 288 Programs) or Middle College High School – may be assigned priority registration under Enrollment Tier III and receive an earlier appointment to register for classes.
Both international and undocumented students can enroll in dual enrollment courses, but they may be required to pay nonresident fees. College boards may be able to waive these fees for special admit part-time students who meet certain requirements. Contact your local college to discuss your status and to discuss a possible fee waiver.
Yes, effective January 1, 2020, dual enrollment now includes students attending a noncredit or adult education high school diploma or equivalency program.

Dual enrollment offers many benefits, such as a chance to begin college early, master college level coursework, and learn to navigate the college environment. However, students and parents should know the following:

  • The grades earned in dual enrollment courses will be part of the permanent student record and college transcript. Poor grades in dual enrollment courses can hurt students’ chances of receiving financial aid as well as their eligibility to enroll in a four-year college or university.
  • Dual enrollment courses may count toward a total unit cap on financial aid or course enrollment limits.
  • Students might be responsible for expenses such as textbooks and supplies, transportation to and from campus, and meals while attending courses at the campus.

Students interested in dual enrollment should speak with a counselor at the high school or adult education school they are currently attending prior to enrolling to determine if the program is right for them.

Credit for Prior Learning

Credit for prior learning is college credit awarded for certain college-level skills and knowledge gained outside a college classroom. Credit for prior learning can save students time and money towards their educational goals.

Qualified experience includes college-level knowledge or skills from:

  • Work experience
  • Apprenticeships, internships or other employer training programs
  • Military service/training
  • State/federal government training
  • Volunteer work and civic activities (e.g., Peace Corps)
  • Independent study
Colleges use the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) process to evaluate a student’s knowledge gained from qualified prior experience. Students may need to take an exam, submit a portfolio, or provide military transcripts. The way credit is determined differs at each community colleges, so students should both check the course catalog of their local 俶腦惘app community college for information about Credit for Prior Learning and speak with a faculty member at the college about the assessment process. 
No, there is no fee for the assessment. However, if an examination is required, there might be a small fee – the fee will never exceed the cost of tuition for the course and fees vary by college. Contact your local 俶腦惘app community college for more information.
Yes. Limits to the number of units a student can receive as credit for prior learning differ per college or district. Contact your local 俶腦惘app community college for more information.
In most cases, credit for prior learning will be recognized for transfer. However, as with transfer of all course credit, students should work closely with their counselor to make informed decisions based on their transfer destination.